Important Swimming Pool Safety Tips
An afternoon spent at a swimming pool or spa is a great way to enjoy time with the family, especially for energetic kids who love the water. Yet it’s important for parents and children to always adhere to pool safety while they’re in the water.
Pool safety means adopting critical water safety steps to assure that a great afternoon at the pool doesn’t turn into a tragic one. Whether a family is at a residential or public pool or spa, parents and children can always take additional steps to be safe while having fun.
CPSC urges families to use the water safety steps that work best for them, building on preferred safety techniques and adopting new ones to keep everyone protected in pools and spas.
In this section, parents and families can learn about the many water safety steps to be used at public and residential pools and spas and access helpful CPSC Pool Safely materials, including brochures, tip cards and educational videos.
Discover what you need to know about your residential pool or spa.
Learn more about what you can do to keep kids safe at your own pool or at community pools and spas.
Discover a wealth of information for parents and families on pool and spa safety.
CPSC offers a comprehensive library of brochures, reports, videos and checklists on pool and spa safety for the general public, including parents and families.
Children will enjoy CPSC’s educational videos and interactive activities while learning about pool safety and family fun in the water.
Many families visit indoor and outdoor public pools and spas during the summer swimming season and year-round. Public pool and spa owners and operators should follow local, state and federal regulations to ensure the safety of their facilities.
By checking to see if a public pool or spa is using appropriate water safety practices, you can further assure the safety of you, your family and your community. These are helpful questions to ask when you and your family visit a public pool or spa:
- Are there fences that limit access to the pool and spa?
- Has the pool or spa been inspected to ensure it is compliant with federal and local laws and regulations?
- Are the new safety drain covers being used in compliance with the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act?
- Do pool and spa pumps appear to be running?
- Is there life-saving equipment such as life rings and reaching poles available for use?
- Is there a lifeguard at the pool or spa to watch children and adults?
- Are you watching your own child or children when they’re in or around the water?
- Are there water safety rules posted in a visible area for adults and children to review?
- Is there sufficient staff to monitor the pool or spa when it’s in heavy use?
- Is there a charged phone close by at all times?
- Do you and your children know how to swim?
- Is the staff trained and certified in first aid and emergency response?
- Do you know how to perform CPR on children and adults? Are those skills updated regularly?
- Do you understand the basics of life-saving, so you can assist in a pool emergency?